How Did You Get Started In Health And Fitness?
It’s funny that I am a professional athlete, because I was all about the arts as a kid. I was a competitive tap and jazz dancer right into my teens, however when the demands of school and work no longer allowed me the time to travel into the city for dance class, I realized I would have to find another way to keep fit. I began weight training in the grungy basement gym of my high school with one of my girlfriends. I had read that bodybuilding was great for keeping fit, and years later took my interest and physique to the next level in competition.
What Is Your Best Accomplishment So Far?
First, together my husband and I have followed our passion and live our dream – both Pro athletes and successful, industry-leading trainers via our company, ContestPrep.com – the premier physique consulting firm. We just launched our brand new website, which I’ve very excited about! With ContestPrep.com, we changed the way athletes prep for competition and opened the eyes of thousands of general public clients to the true lifestyle that creates fitness success.
I am proud of Craig and I for being examples of a top bodybuilder & published fitness model who are winning in other areas of iour lives. Anyone can diet and train obsessively to create the body of their dreams, but you can’t lose sight of everything else in life that matters. I look up to individuals who have it all – career, family, beauty, love & health – and don’t take any of it forgranted.
Check Out ContestPrep.com!
Second, realizing my dream of shooting with Oxygen Magazine! I can’t believe I have had the honour to grace the pages of my favourite women’s fitness magazine numerous times, and every time I shoot with Paul Buceta and the Oxygen team, it’s surreal. Third, it brings tears to my eyes to relieve the moment I won my Ms Fitness Manitoba Championship. I am forever thankful to all the amazing friends, family, clients and fans who helped me achieve that goal, especially the most dedicated athlete I know – and am lucky to be inspired by daily. Maybe I should change my answer – it was the best achievement of my life to catch the eye of my boss (at the time)… my trophy husband Craig Bonnett.
What Is It Like Competing?
It’s a rush getting on stage! I love the pressure of the coming show – it truly fuels my workouts and provides the focus I need to stick to my diet. Getting on stage is even more rewarding for me than a photoshoot – you can’t hid your flaws on stage! Every part of my body has to be tight and toned to capture top placings!
What Workout Routine Has Worked Best For You?
My workout routine changes throughout the year to match my goals. Even if my next competition is a year away, I am always motivated to improve for the next show. This gives structure to my off-season training & makes clean eating easier.
I always begin my workouts with 12 arm circles forward/backward, side bends, hamstring, trap and lat stretches. This helps me pinpoint any irritations and ensure I am not scheduled to train a bodypart that is still recovering from my last session. It also gives me a few minutes to blast my music and being to pump myself up for my workout.
Day 1 – Priority Day
- 20/15/15/10/8 x Leg Press (Push through heels)
- 12/side x 4 sets Single Leg Machine Curls, SuperSet with 20 Bosu Squats
- 12-15 x 4 sets Leg Extensions, SS with 15 Pop Squats
- 8-12 x 4 sets Prone Leg Curls, SS with 15 Pop squats
- 30 steps x 3 sets Walking Lunges, SS with DBs, SS 20 Machine Abduction
- 15 x 3 sets Standing Calves, SS with 30 BB Glute Hip Thrusts
- Cardio: Stepmill x 30-40 mins stopping to rock 20 Pop Squats every 5 minutes & top up cardio to reach 2 hrs EVERY day with spin, plyos, outdoor cycling or rollerblading.
Day 2 – Shoulder & Core
- 15-20 x 2 sets of Machine Shoulder Press
- 12 x 3 sets Arnold Press, SS with Seated Reverse DB Flyes
- 15 x 3 sets Standing Cable Face Pulls, SS Plate Steering Wheels
- 15-20/side x 4 sets Single Arm Reverse Cable Flyes, SS with Handstand Push-ups or Handstand Plank and Bicycle Crunches x 60
- 15-20 x 4 sets Cable Crunches, SS with Ball Crunches, Oblique Twists on Decline
- Bent Arm DB Lateral Raises, dropset x 2, SS with Roman Chair Leg Raises, Bicycles Crunches x 60
Day 3 – Back & Arm
- <12 x 2 sets Neutral Grip Chin-ups
- 12 x 3 sets Hammerstrength Machine Pulldowns, SS with 21s with BB, Close Grip BB Military Press (Hinge Press)
- 12/side x 3 sets Single Arm Cable Row, SS with Double Tricep Kickbacks, Alternating DB Curls
- 12 x 3 sets Straight Arm Pressdowns, SS with DB Preacher Curls, Dips
- 8-12 x 3 sets Seated Cable Row, SS with Concentration Curls, Rope Pressdowns
Day 4 – Lower Body (Hamstraing/Glute Priority)
- 15/12/12/8/8 BB Squats, SS with 30-60 sec Run on Spot & 10 Pop Squats
- 12/12/8/6 Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, SS with 30 BB Glute Hip Thrusts, 60 Bodyweight Squats
- 15-20 x 3 sets Good Mornings, SS with Prone Leg Curls
- Seated Leg Curls 8-12 rep range, SS with Plie Squats or Calves
- Abductor Machine x 30 reps, 3 sets, short rest between sets
- Standing Calves SS with Glute Kickbacks
- Leg Extensions
Day 5 – Chest/Shoulders/Triceps/Core
- BB Bench, SS with Knee-Pull in on the Bench x 25
- DB Shoulder Press, SS with Standing Reverse DB Flyes and Crunches on Floor
- Standing Reverse Cable Flyes, SS with Wall Handstand Planks or Handstand Push-ups
- Rope Pressdowns, Ss with Tricep Push-ups
- Tricep Isolation Machine
- Roman Chair Leg Raises x 12, then 6 with knees only up, SS with Back Extensions on Bench
- Extra Core if time allows
Top 3 Favourite Exercises And Why?
– Stiff-legged deadlifts are amazing to shape hamstrings and glutes, and ladies just look amazing doing them! 😉
– Barbell Glute hip thrusts have been my go-to to keep my booty tight this year, since I’ve had to cut back on my plyometrics due to injury. This exercise is a great superset to any lower body workout.
– Bent Arm Lateral DB Raises, simply because I love the pump I get in my shoulders from them – my arms look great doing this exercise. It’s an exercise I look forward to, which makes my training all the more rewarding.
Favourite Form Of Cardio?
Spin bike or stepmill
What Is Your Diet?
I admittedly eat low carb when dieting for a show or big photo-shoot.
- Meal 1: Chicken Breast or Lean Beef with 3 Egg Whites and Fusion Omega Oil
- Meal 2 is (Pre workout) Protein Shake with Glutamend, SubQ and Purple K and Veggies
- Meal 3: (Post workout) Protein Shake with Glutamend
- Meal 4: Chicken Breast or Lean Beef with 3 Egg Whites and Fusion Omega Oil
- Meal 5: Salad with lean protein (i.e. Tuna, Salmon, Chicken)
- Meal 6: Lean protein (i.e. Tuna, Salmon, Chicken) and Nuts
Any Staple Healthy Meals That You Always Eat?
I honestly love my healthy meals – I enjoy every one. My recent fav is extra lean taco beef over organic greens with nonfat ranch dressing and ½ avocado. I don’t often allow myself cheat meals – I treat myself in different ways, such as with deep tissue massages at Victory Therapy in Winnipeg, soothing bubble baths, pedicures or shopping at my fav dress shop on Winnipeg’s popular Osborne Street. When I am doing a night out with off-diet foods, I opt for sushi.
What Supplements Do You Use?
I believe food is the best supplement – there is no quick, over the counter fix for a bad diet. However there are certainly fantastic products that can help in addition to clean eating.
I use CLA, BCAAs, Glutamend, Omega Oil, Pre-workout supplements such as Fubar, creatine (Purple K), SubQ at certain times of the year to help my fat loss and energy levels, protein powders, and ALWAYS incorporate a multivitamin to ensure my body has all the nutrients it needs.
What Are Your Tips For Success For Beginners?
It’s never too late to change your life! I find that telling my friends and family my goals helps to keep me accountable – tell anyone who will listen and you may realize you have inspired them to also make health a priority in their lives.
What Is The Best Advice You Have Ever Been Given?
Don’t miss workouts (Craig Bonnett)
What’s Your Favourite Body Part?
It’s tough to get me to sit still, and the same goes in the gym, so I love training legs because I get great results by incorporating supersets. I hit glutes nearly every other day with bosu ball squats, quick straight leg kickbacks, weighted glute hip thrusts or plyos – everyday if you count my cardio sessions! Spinning is great for targeting hamstrings and glutes.
Your Best Tips To Getting Into Contest Shape?
Diet is key!! But to get contest lean, it’s worthwhile to invest in a conditioning specialist to help you learn the techniques that will get you closer to that trophy.
What’s Your Gym Playlist Like?
I love Katy Perry – she’s so positive and upbeat! I have to admit I’ve watched her movie a few times while doing cardio. Anything upbeat that makes me want to dance it perfect for a workout.
Where Does Your Motivation Come From?
Who Inspires You?
My inspirations are many, and I’m sure I can’t name everyone. During intense cardio sessions when my body want to give up, my mind reminds me that Craig Bonnett wouldn’t be proud of me if I gave less than 100%. My friend Lara has been struggling with serious health issues for 6 years, and yet is always glowing with happiness and positivity – so I owe it to her to be thankful for my own good health and fortune. Or that my amazing family at Fusion Bodybuilding believe in me and I would never take their sponsorship and support forgranted… I could go on and on – I am so fortunate! The industry is full of inspiring people – I am so lucky to continue to build friendships with such exceptional athletes.
“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
It a pleasure doing this interview for you – thanks for the opportunity! I am thrilled to announce the launch of our brand new website – CONTESTPREP.COM! Please come and be inspired by some of the brave clients who chose to share their Success Stories with you! We have also organized new ContestPrep.com Training Packages to better meet the needs of our online clients. Thanks for taking the time to visit!
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org For More Information.