Testosterone has two very important functions in the male human body. The first is that it is used to boost libido and promote a healthy sex life through healthy sperm production. Secondly, high levels of testosterone increase muscle mass which is a necessity for those involved in bodybuilding and weightlifting. Testosterone is also a key element for improving concentration and memory, creating strong bones, producing red blood cells, properly distributing fat, and elevating energy levels.
Testosterone levels are usually sufficient or even high in young men but, according to Mayo Clinic, the average male begins experiencing a 1% drop in testosterone levels each year after the age of 30. However, both young and aging males can see a decrease in testosterone due to stress, illness, injury, obesity, a poor diet and other factors.
Foods That Increase Testosterone
Healthy testosterone production is dependent on a nutritious diet. B-complex vitamins and zinc are especially critical for increasing testosterone and can be found in a number of tasty foods. Following is a list of some of the best foods to add to a healthy diet which will aid in raising testosterone levels naturally.
• Oysters – Recognized as an aphrodisiac, oysters are a rich source of zinc which is used to produce testosterone and healthy sperm. These tasty shellfish also contain a hormone called dopamine which is used to increase libido. For maximized testosterone assistance, eat oysters raw or lightly steamed.
• Fish – All types of fish are a powerful source of B vitamins which are used in healthy sperm and testosterone production. Prepare salmon, cod, mackerel and other tasty fish dishes several times per week for best results.
• Avocadoes – This healthy superfood provides a good dose of vitamin B6 which the body uses to produce testosterone. It also has high amounts of folic acid which increases energy and breaks down proteins into amino acids which the body uses to repair and grow healthy muscle tissue and produce sperm.
• Nuts – All nuts are a great source of essential fatty acids which provide what the body needs to produce male hormones. Almonds are the best for boosting testosterone as they offer a high source of zinc as well.
• Eggs – Eggs help increase testosterone because they provide high amounts of both vitamin B5 and B6. These B vitamins regulate hormone levels and combat stress which is a proven cause of a low sex drive.
• Figs – This sweet, juicy fruit is high in amino acids which research has found to increase libido as well as sexual stamina.
• Bananas – These are high in potassium and B vitamins (like riboflavin) which are key ingredients in producing healthy male hormones. Bananas also contain an enzyme called bromelain that stimulates male libido and they also provide an extra energy punch.
• Asparagus – Asparagus is rich in vitamin E which is another nutrient which studies show will boost testosterone production.
• Turkey, Brown Rice and Cheese – All three of these foods contain high amounts of zinc which is a key ingredient for testosterone production. Add them to a healthy diet to elevate testosterone levels.